Tuesday 14 May 2013

Fashion interning : Part 1 Getting the internship

Remember a couple of weeks ago when I disappeared for a while? I was actually interning on the fashion and beauty desk of Closer magazine. I know a large proportion of people who are blogging/read blogs are also looking to go into the fashion industry. I also know how hard it is to get on the first step of the ladder. So this is going to be the first out of 3/4 sections on my experience and tips with fashion interning.

I got my internship on my own, through no connections or uni help. The only thing I utilsed was friends who'd already interned for advice and the good ol' internet. I don't think this is a bag thing, infact when I finally got a yes I was over the moon and SO proud of myself, that's not to say don't utilse your connections - but I relish the chance to prove myself. 


BE RELENTLESS. Don't just apply to Vogue and expect a yes just because your doing a degree in fashion or claim to be their biggest fan. Apply for everywhere that you are slightly interested in. If you read interviews with people from all fashion backgrounds a big majority say they started in smaller magazines and offices and built there way up. Every experience counts. When applying for jobs everyone's asking for experience - the more you have the bigger chance you have. I applied for so so many magazines and PR companies I couldn't even tell you. I accepted Closer magazine and River Island's head office in the PR department, however I had to turn down the Observer's fashion desk and Newlook's PR desk. Alas its all about timing for me as I also need 100 hours of work experience for my third year. At the end of the day what have you got to loose? The more you apply for the better chance you stand of getting atleast one

[Image: google.co.uk]


The biggest mode of contact I picked up on was twitter.@ukfashionintern is great for quick internships with stylists and some magazines - however twitter is usually used when people need interns literally in a matter of days. I got offered two internships in London starting 3 days after I'd spoke to the stylists - unless your cental with no job and uni this is pretty impossible - However this isnt to say you can't get peoples details and build foundations with future contacts. I may have rejected both of those stylists internships, but through email I actually got to know one of them really well and am hoping to intern with her later this year. I contacted as many people as I could for twitter asking if they were looking for interns and asking for email addresses, and majority of people were kind enough to reply. I never contacted editors and head of companies - chances are they're too busy to reply to the thousands of people begging for an internship, go to the paid interns, the assistants, the people lower down the chain.  Its their job to recruit interns. Go through your favorite magazines and find out the names of who you need to apply for - find their twitters and emails, for PR research whos looking after your dream brand? are they inhouse PR or do they have an external company. I also didn't post one application - it was all by email. I know for sure if I had the option of replying to an email or opening a letter typing in the details and replying - I'd be replying to the email!

[Image: google.co.uk]


Taylor your cover letter to who your applying to - do your research impress them! make your application sound like you. Add a picture of yourself or your work - BIG YOURSELF UP, share your knowledge of all things fashion, most importantly tell them why you would benefit them, thats what they are interested in at the end of the day - think outside the box! don't be afraid to google the shit out of something! If you blog? TELL THEM, its the most creative outlet we have guys!
[Image: weheartit.com]




I got three no's and two no replies whilst applying for internships. You have to realize just how many thousands of people are applying for this one position  Maybe you weren't right for this one, or maybe you were seconds too late - doesn't mean someone else won't see your potential. Persistence and confidence is key.

[Image: weheartit.com]


This was a bit of a wordy one from me! But I know I love reading other peoples experiences and tips and soaking them all up, what did you think of this post?
I'll be posting another part of this in the week!

Hope you enjoyed it,
Enjoy your week!

4 comments :

  1. Thankyou, this is so helpful, uni don't always tell you everything! It does annoy me slightly when some easily get incredible internships (others in my class are in New York & Australia) just because their parents know someone, rather than their talent or work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this helped you! its exactly what I wrote it for - oh my god tell me about it, so frustrating! we'll get there if we want it enough though! xx

      Delete
  2. Wow! I love this, so helpful and was so interesting to read about your experiences! Thanks for sharing your tips too! xxx


    holljc.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah I'm so glad you liked it! theres a couple more of these coming up! thanks for commenting xxx

      Delete